Earlier today on the phone with a friend we started talking about superstitions, and the topic has been on my mind since. Sure, most of these old wives’ tales seem silly, but honestly, I am a little superstitious sometimes. I’ll admit I won’t walk under a ladder if I can avoid it, and I am disappointed if a mirror breaks; but I rather like black cats and the number thirteen.
How many of these superstitions are you familiar with? Which ones do you believe?
- Never put a hat on a bed
- It’s bad luck if a black cat crosses your path
- It’s bad luck to position your bed with the footboard facing the door
- Never walk under a ladder
- A broken mirror means 7 years bad luck
- Rain on your wedding day will bring good luck to your marriage
- It’s good luck if a bird “drops” on you
- When your ears burn someone is talking about you
- If you feel a chill someone has just walked over your grave
- Elephants with their trunks turned up bring good luck
- A horsehoe hung above the doorway brings good luck to the home, BUT
- If a horseshoe is hung upside down all the luck will run out
- Killing a ladybug is bad luck
- Spilling wine is good luck
- If a broomstick falls, company’s coming
What old wives’ tales and superstitions do you know? Please share, I’d love to hear them!